Sunday, January 20, 2013

I practice cognitive disconance




I can't remember if I've posted this before, "French Cancan (Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche)" by Malian-French-American performer, Inna Modja.

A very catchy tune, classic '60s-'70s Gamble and Huff, one that I woke up with in my head this morning.

And a funny, quirky video, which I seem to appreciate more this morning than I have in previous viewings. Could it have something to do with the fact that I'm halfway through the bizarrely fun Holy Motors? In French no less . . . (with French subtitles; not fully there yet, not even really that close, as you'll no doubt notice from my occasional French essay posted here.)

I don't think there's any great insights to be gained from this song, the movie I'm watching, or the language I'm studying. Except maybe this: Go through your day with a clever, sexy song in your head, which will serve you well as the soundtrack to the bizarre movie that plays around you. Do all this in a half-understood language, pretending that you're experiencing life in a locale more exotic than the one you're currently inhabiting.

Trust me, it makes this reality we endure much easier to tolerate.


No comments: