Monday, September 23, 2013

Hurt me! Hurt me!



Why was there never a video made for this classic? I feel cheated by life once again.

Seriously, I don't know why I love this song. But then again, I do. The beat is percolating. The samples are cleverly deployed. The intro and outro successfully comical. And Samantha Fox carries a great tune.

No, really. I think she was a more capable singer/performer than given credit for, her "voluptuousness"--and her eagerness to share said voluptuousness with the world--undercutting her talents.

Where are they now? I'm not sure. I vaguely remember reading something about Ms. Fox shilling some diet tea that had a tapeworm in it (unbeknownst to her, I'm assuming), becoming a born-again Christian, then unbecoming a born-again Christian. Then announcing that she was going to form a civil partnership in the UK with her same-sex spouse. So lots of searching for a role, a space, her own self.

All in all, quite a life--and some great pop music. Thanks, Sam!

No comments: