Monday, December 22, 2014

Elfin art for art's sake

"Elf on the Shelf" by Micala - Courtesy of Flickr, CC BY-NC-SA
Every time I see a new "Elf on the Shelf" image, I think to myself . . .

Finally! Jeff Koons has found his true muse!

* * *

Really, I despise this sort of crap art (both of the Elf on the Shelf and Jeff Koons variety). But if this quote by lace-on-his-Victorian-bloomers art critic Robert Hughes is to be believed--

"Koons really does think he's Michelangelo and is not shy to say so. The significant thing is that there are collectors, especially in America, who believe it. He has the slimy assurance, the gross patter about transcendence through art, of a blow-dried Baptist selling swamp acres in Florida. And the result is that you can't imagine America's singularly depraved culture without him."*

Then I despise pretentious, bigoted modern art critics almost as much.

Honestly, observations on the theme of American vulgarity are practically as old as the country itself and are no less derivative than Jeff Koons' art.

And while we're painting entire nations with the same slapdash brushwork, may I just say that it's rather rich, being called out for a tacky, boisterous, self-aggrandizing culture by an art critic from Australia?

(Australia, I love you, but come on . . . .)

* * *

* Hughes, Robert. "Showbiz and the Art World", The Guardian, 30 June 2004. Quoted from the Wikipedia article on Jeff Koons. I'll check the original quote as soon as possible and retract it if it's been taken our of context. I doubt I'll have to, though.

No comments: