Sunday, October 02, 2016

The songs of shortwave, volume 3



The third (and final?) volume of my songs of shortwave homage . . . or nostalgia-fest . . . or persnickety obsession. You decide.

In this edition, I focus on interval signals and signature tunes from France, the Middle East, and Africa. There's also a bonus track, "Merck toch hoe sterck" by the Dutch jazz trumpeter Cees Smal. This harks back to volume 1 of this mixtape series: Back in the day, "Merck toch hoe sterck" was the melody for Radio Nederland's interval signal.

The African stations are of particular interest to me--I used to listen to many of these in the 1970s and 1980s on the "tropical band" (below 5 megahertz) on my shortwave radio. They weren't the easiest to receive or clearest to listen to. In fact, until I discovered several websites that provide recordings of interval signals, I wasn't sure from which stations or countries the broadcasts emanated.

I think my interest in Africa stems from those days. The exoticism of Africa appeals to me, I'm (partially) ashamed to admit. But there's also Africa's history, potential, and culture that interest me. While I've spent a lot of time focusing on South African history and culture (in this blog, in studies, and in my life), I am also interested in West and Central African culture, especially the literature and music.

So in this mix, you'll hear interval signals intermingled with patriotic songs and anthems and pop tunes that I hope convey both the era then and the culture now.

If I do a future shortwave songs mix, I might focus more on Asia (although, due to my listening location on the U.S. southeast coast, I couldn't tune in Asian broadcasters very well)--or I might go off in a different direction: The songs of shortwave, Benelux edition, playing tunes I remember hearing on 208 Radio Luxembourg broadcasts, Radio Nederland's pop chart program, Radio Free Europe's transmissions to Eastern Europe, and other shows and stations from Central and Western Europe.

I certainly have the collection. Now do I have the bravura/shamelessness to share some of my very Euro-cheez taste?

* * *

The playlist
  • Radio France Internationale - Interval signal, announcement, national anthem
  • Andre Claveau, Mathe Altery, Christian Borel, & Claire Vallin - "Nous n'irons plus au bois"
  • Gilbert Sigrist Trio - "Nous n'irons plus au bois"
  • Serge Gainsbourg - "Aux armes et caetera"
  • TRT Voice of Turkey - Interval signal, broadcast opening, announcement
  • Radio Cairo - Announcements, signature tune
  • Dissidenten - "Radio Arabia"
  • Kol Israel/Voice of Israel - interval signal
  • Meshugga Beach Party - "Hatikvah"
  • Dori Ben Ze'ev - "And Still You Dance"
  • Voice of Palestine - March
  • The Very Best featuring Ezra Koenig - "The Warm Heart of Africa"
  • Voice of Nigeria - Interval signal, broadcast opening, announcement
  • Sierra Leone Broadcasting Service (SLBS) - Interval signal, march, signature tune
  • Ghana Broadcasting Corporation - interval signal, song
  • B. K. Ofori's Guitar Band - "Yen ara asase ni"
  • Radiodiffusion-Television Guineenne - Interval signal, announcement, anthem, music
  • Bako Dagnon - "Alpha yaya"
  • La Voix de la Revolution Congolaise - Interval signal, music, announcement
  • National Station, Yaounde, Cameroon - Interval signal and announcement
  • Francis Bebey - The Coffee Cola Song
  • Radiodiffusion-Television Togolaise - Interval signal
  • Radiodiffusion-Television Ivoirienne - Interval signal, march, announcement
  • Keke Kassiry - "Abidjan"
  • Mamadee & Ky-Mani Marley - "Africa Is Calling" (Road of Life Riddim Mix)
  • Amadou & Mariam featuring Knaan - "Africa"
Bonus track
  • Cees Smal - "Merck toch hoe sterck"

No comments: