Sunday, January 19, 2020

Ruby Manila



Author's note: I've written about this song before, a little more than five years ago. Nice to see that this song has become ever so slightly less obscure--even if it still only has 5 YouTube views at the  moment (at least one of which belongs to me).

This is probably more moi than I care to admit. Actually, fuck that, I'm happy to admit that I think this Filipina-German chanteuse Ruby Manila singing "Fly Butterfly" is one of the most exquisite gems of late 1970s pop, and in 2020 I remain flummoxed as to why others don't view this song in the same way.
  • Thumping base line? ✓
  • Orgasmic moaning that turns into a very lovely, surprisingly strong vocal? ✓
  • Clicketty-clacketty synthesizers? ✓
  • Deep male vocal counterpoint? ✓
  • Catchy Euro chorus that doesn't require you to know more than three words of English? ✓

It's all here. You just have to open your third eye (or whatever) and embrace it.

No comments: