Thursday, July 16, 2020

The Barefoot and Pregnant Contessa

Definitely not mine: Steak with shitaki mushrooms by Jon Sullivan.
Public domain. Via
Wikimedia Commons.
Has anyone started a let's-see-what's-in-the-pantry-and-the-freezer pandemic home cooking show? A program for those of us who are too wary or too lazy to hoof it down to the grocery store but instead want to use up what we've already purchased or can easily find at the corner store mere steps from our front door?
 
If not, I may be your guy.
 
Tonight, I made chicken meat loaf. (Ground chicken is fairly easy to find here in Canada.) No marjoram? No problem! I'll just use up this old bottle of herbs de Provence that's been hanging around since Moses was pulled out of the bullrushes. Seasoned bread crumbs? Well, how about if I just use some slices of this stale sourdough bread I bought at the corner store last week? Ketchup? Do I have enough? Do I have too much? Just use the whole damn bottle! It's friends with Moses and will feel lonely if left behind.
 
Steak night! Because I just discovered this ancient frozen steak in the freezer! And look! I managed to buy a bottle of chimichurri sauce at some point. Let's try that as a marinade to cover up the frozen steak's sad, sorry life. ¡Che! You've now got un poquito de la Argentina en su plato.
 
Eggs? Salsa? Dinner! Or maybe breakfast or lunch! Heat the salsa, red or green, in a skillet and sort of poach three or four eggs in the salsa. Just add some leftover tortillas and a can of refried beans. You, my friend, are now the Barefoot-and-Pregnant Contessa!
 
And always remember: What doesn't kill you can probably be reheated for tomorrow's lunch. Or dinner. Or the following day's breakfast.
 
Bon appetit!

No comments: