Friday, March 08, 2013

Doh! I'm sorry! I signed away your civil rights!

From the National Public Radio news website, 8 March 2013

Ripped from today's headlines: Former U.S. President Bill Clinton thinks the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is unconstitutional.

I'd be more impressed with this statement if he'd never signed DOMA into law in the first place.

I mean, really, I never thought a professional man-and-attention-whore like Bill Clinton had a problem with same-sex marriage (especially the part where two women marry each other and especially their honeymoon). Instead, I just figured it was the expedient thing for him to do, to sell out my fellow queers in order to maintain his popularity and stay in office a little while longer.

Now Mr. "High Rhodes Scholar" thinks legally preventing people from getting marriage is unconstitutional, that whole "late unpleasantness" preventing interracial marriage in the Southern States being all fiddle-dee-dee.

Might this opinion and resistance have mattered more, oh say, seventeen years ago?

But it's OK. I once thought using a cigar as a sexual aid with an intern who was not your wife in a room adjacent to the Oval Office was rather a bad idea--for reasons of marital infidelity and anti-smoking.

Now I just think it was rather predictable. I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner in fact.

So Bill and me, we're both a bit tardy in coming around to a different way of seeing things. It's just that in his case, he's also a bit of a 'tard.

No comments: