Sunday, July 14, 2013

NYNY (New Year New You)




I finally have found an online home (one that's non-spazzy about copyright--at least so far) for my mixes and podcasts. Woo hoo!

After Apple shut down it's perfectly acceptable website for paying customers, converting everything to iCloud (which I still don't get), the many podcasts and mixes I'd done over the last couple of years were left homeless.

It may seem like something small to you, but it was a crushing blow to my limited creativity. I'm not a very artistic person, but I can talk reasonably intelligently, make a good playlist, and do some basic mixing with a wee bit o' flair. Podcasts and mixes became a way for me to express the frustrated DJ/radio announcer in me, something that's been a part of me since childhood, when I used to listen constantly to radio broadcasts, both domestic and foreign, and attempt to make my own using a reel-to-reel tape recorder.

Why I never went into media and communications, I'll never understand. I never thought I had the looks or the voice for it, I'm sure. Thanks all you bastards out there for beating a guy down.

I think my creativity has suffered a pummeling in other ways, too. People criticized my drawing, so I did it less, then not at all. People criticized my writing. Ditto. People criticized me. And, yeah, I hid various parts of me away from those who would judge me or who I thought might.

Mean people suck, but really, I should be less susceptible to them by now.

And I had been managing that with my mixes and podcasts, putting myself and my interests out there for the world to see--even though the audience for them was miniscule to nonexistent. But now perhaps through MixCloud and its "cloudcasts," I stand more of a chance to expressing myself to the wider world, their criticims be damned. Or at least not taken too much to heart.

* * *

Playlist - NYNY (New Year New You) Mix
  • Kraftwerk - "Musique Non-Stop"
  • 808 State featuring Bernard Sumner - "Spanish Heart" 
  • The Pet Shop Boys - "Domino Dancing" 
  • Queen - "Radio Ga Ga" 
  • Serge Gainsbourg - "No Comment" (Dax Riders Remix) 
  • Electronic - "The Patience of a Saint" 
  • Poolside - "Just Fall in Love" 
  • Daft Punk - "Da Funk" 
  • Annie - "I Know Ur Girlfriend Hates Me" 
  • Telex - "Rock Around the Clock" 
  • Brazilian Girls - "Last Call" 
  • Justin Timberlake and Timbaland - "SexyBack" 
  • Hooverphonic - "Dirty Lenses" (remix) 
  • The Shamen - "Make It Mine" 
  • LCD Soundsystem - "Get Innocuous!" 
  • Holy Ghost! - "Static on the Wire" 
  • Kleerup featuring Titiyo - "Longing for Lullabies"

No comments: