Thursday, August 01, 2013

Friends and lovers (Oh, why the heck not?)

I hate pop schlock for the most part, and one of the worst moments in modern musical history for me was the dreadful ballad phase of mid-'90s American popular musical entertainment. Just thinking about it makes me want to buy up every VHS copy of The Bodyguard, dump them into the middle of the Atlanta Olympics stadium, and mulch them into a fine, shimmery powder using a souped-up roto-tiller. Then force Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, and, yes, even Madonna ("This Used to be My Playground" indeed) to snort that powder through an orifice to be determined by judicial decree.

However, my diatribe about Robin Thicke got me to thinking about his mother, Gloria Loring, and her hit duet with Carl Anderson, "Friends and Lovers."



This isn't from the mid-'90s but the mid-'80s, proof that the '80s weren't always as glorious musically as everyone recalls. It's about as schlocky as it gets, but hey, I'm getting older by the second, it's a nice memory of a bygone era in pop culture, and I think Ms. Loring needs some love and respect that her son obviously isn't capable of giving.

Viva la Gloria!

No comments: