Sunday, June 16, 2019

Pressure off (Summer soundtrack #1)



And I'm only four years late!

To me this song epitomizes the year 2015 in music (Nile Rodgers and Janelle Monae as guest artists).

To me, this song also epitomizes the Duran Duran sound, look, and ethos--the band to dance to when the bomb drops, as Simon Le Bon reportedly once said. The song sounds great--it is perhaps a progression in sonic quality--but I'm not sure it's really a progression in sound for the band. I'm no Duran Duran expert, but this wouldn't sound out of place on Astronaut, Medazzaland, or even Notorious.

And maybe that's OK. Duran Duran is nothing if not consistent and yet still remains exciting to watch and listen to, even after all these years.

Having said that, I'll never understand Nick Rhodes whole look. Is smug gender-bending with an unnatural hair color still a thing?

Oh, scratch that. I forgot the era in which I'm living.

No comments: