Sunday, August 12, 2012

Ode to a non-greasy yearn

The smell of chicken in the air that night
The fryer alight
Oh Nando
They were frying hens for you and me
For fricassee
Oh Nando
Though there're pounds we'll never lose
There's no regret
If I had to eat chick-en again
I would eat yours my friend
Oh Nando
One of the discoveries on my recent trip to Great Britain was Nando's, a palace of Portuguese roast chicken in peri-peri sauce, which has something like 250+ locations in the UK. And it's been in the GB since 1992, so it's more than just a fluke, it's practically a way of life. This was my third trip since then, so why am I just discovering this now? <sotto voce> Vegetarian friends </sotto voce>.

I've had chicken and fish roasted Portuguese-style before--in Montreal of all places, which has a noteworthy Portuguese community along Rue Saint-Laurent north of Rue Sherbrooke. So this was more Portuguese roast chicken done for the "casual dining" crowd--but, nevertheless, done very well! (But, thankfully not, well done.)

There was also a Southern African influence in the cuisine, what with the rich "Southern style" (in that they reminded me of home) Luso beans and the fiery (for Great Britain) peri-peri marinades, common to Mozambique (a former Portuguese colonial territory) and South Africa, too, from whence Nando's got its start.

Nando's is global--there are even several locations in the Washington, D.C., area, although the closest to me is either in suburban Maryland or Toronto. Apparently, though, there are none in Montreal at this time, which is somewhat surprising because, calvaire, those Quebecois do love the roast chicken. (I'm looking at you, St. Hubert.)

What's my point in telling you all of this? Well, I wanted to show off my little homage to Nando's above (sung to the tune of ABBA's "Fernando," natch), which I recently composed for my dear friend Cali. And to remind you that our casual dining choices in the Pittsburgh area include Applebee's, TGIFriday's, and Eat 'n' Park.

Gah, sometimes how I hate you, life.

No comments: