Saturday, November 24, 2012

Grandma's cornbread

In memory of J.R. Ewing, I made my Grandma's cornbread.

No, not really. For one thing, this isn't my Grandma's cornbread. Lord knows how she made it when she did; she never wrote anything down, just did it from memory and habit. I do know she probably used lard, which I did not. I used vegetable shortening, which theoretically is healthier but not necessarily tastier).

For another, I had planned to make cornbread this weekend anyway, treating myself and my downstairs neighbors (who are from South America) with some Southern comfort food.

So no, I didn't make cornbread in honor of J.R. If I had done so, it would have been a lot less crumbly but just as delicious.

Besides, J.R. (and Larry Hagman) was from Texas, not North Carolina and cornbread is more of a southeastern and south central thing, not a Texas thing, which is less about cornbread and more about biscuits. Or maybe flour or corn tortillas.

I always liked how on Dallas, J.R. was never played as a Texas hayseed but as a Texas sophisticate. It made total sense of course. A oil billionaire from Texas wouldn't be a yokel. But Hollywood has a strange way with . . . everything. Still, they got it right on Dallas and on Texas.

And I realize I miss Texas more than anything right now
.

No comments: