Saturday, February 23, 2013

Memory bliss



While working out at the gym last night (butch, I know!), I was tuned into my TuneIn app, listening to La Máquina del Tiempo, an "oldies" internet radio station (featuring mostly Europop from the '80s and '90s, to be honest).

The "Time Machine" can be a mixed bag, to be honest. I've heard some great, fun pop from the '80s in particular (things that I remember from then or managed to miss the first time around). And then I've heard some clunkers--anything by Phil Collins or an odd Mike Oldfield remake of "Family Man" by Hall & Oates. Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot. Seriously. A veces, La Máquina del Tiempo está rota. Completamente rota.

And then at other times, the Time Machine is working brilliantly and something like "Set Adrift on Memory Bliss" by P.M. Dawn goes on rotation.

Wow. I'd forgotten how much I adore this song and the whole P.M. Dawn sensibility from the early-mid '90s. I always thought the was one of the better examples of music sampling from that era--and any other. "Set Adrift on Memory Bliss" takes a readily identifiable riff from "True" by Spandau Ballet (a great pop song in and of itself, even if a tad "New Romantic" in retrospect) and out of this, creates a stellar, unique pop experience in its own right. A classic begets a classic. Why this isn't near the top of the "World's 100 Best Pop Songs Ever" playlist is beyond me.

PM Dawn also had a wonderfully crazy and cool style or look or vibe: Kinda hippy, sorta New Age, very rave culture without the obvious drug use.

I have to admit that I haven't thought much about P.M. Dawn since the mid-'90s, although according to Wikipedia, they're still around, despite some challenges.

Thus, once again, I find myself part of the problem, rather than part of the solution. But maybe a few iTunes or Amazon MP3 purchases will help my karma.

No comments: