Friday, April 24, 2015

The Sexiest Man Alive, 1982 Edition



Seriously, Adam Ant (he's the one on the left) was The Sexiest Man Alive (Montag Edition)  in 1982.

I think the Ant may have started to jump the shark by the time he recorded "Strip" in 1983. There's a little too much Adam on display in this one--I don't mean skin-wise as much as I mean mugging-for-the-camera-wise with a lot of flashy "dolly birds." Not my thing, obviously.



I'm also not sure that this song stands the test of time in the way that "Ant Music" or "Desperate But Not Serious" do. It may pass muster musically but lyrically it just seems like such a comedown from those tunes. Again, the transition from punk to new wave to mainstream is in evidence. Get on your Honda scooter and ride.

But "Strip" will always hold a special place in my heart ever since I discovered that the female voice-over in the middle was done by none other than Frida Lyngstad from ABBA.

All hail Frida! All hail The Ant!

No comments: