Friday, August 26, 2011

Today's '80s flashback


I so loved Sparks in the late '70s/early '80s. Even though some of the stuff from this era sounds a little dated now, this one, "When I'm With You," from their 1980, Giorgio Moroder-produced album, Terminal Jive, seems rather timeless to me.

The story goes that this single did practically nothing on release (the album from which it was taken wasn't even released in the U.S., their home country), except in France. There it hit and stayed at number 1 for eleventy-billion weeks. Yet another reason to love the French.



Ron Mael's ventriloquist act has Jeff Dunham's beat all to pieces. And here's hoping that image comes to life some day . . .

We'll save discussion of my long-standing crush on Russell Mael (the "dummy" in this video) for another place and time. You're welcome.

Meanwhile, I'm going to dance around my living room while this one plays, much as I did at my parents' house in the early '80s when I first bought this record. (Or was it a cassette? Please god no, not an 8-track . . .).

My poor parents and neighbors indeed.

No comments: