Friday, September 23, 2011

All my decisions

Please select the one best answer--

You spent the day before at work having your emails edited, then getting those edited emails approved before they could be distributed to others for further editing and approval. You spent the end of the day at therapy discussing your impending milestone birthday and your frustrating job as, apparently, an email generator.

Afterwards, you skipped the gym, went home, gorged on those thin Fig Newton cookies, which probably would have been a healthy snack alternative if you hadn't decided to polish off the whole bag in two days' time. You bawled your eyes out as Adam (played by David Canary) brought his almost-dead twin Stuart (played by David Canary) back to life on the penultimate episode of All My Children, wondering how he managed to channel the appearance and spirit of your late father in Stuart's resurrection.

Afterwards, you debated drafting more emails for editing, playing The Sims until bedtime, or continuing the hard slog through the 500+-page novel  about the end of Apartheid you've been cringing your way through since early August.

Now it is just before dawn, Friday morning, September 23, 2011.

What would you do?

(a) Rise at 5:30 am the following day to be on time for an exciting morning of strategic planning with consultants who are prepared to tell you reams, yards, bushels, bolts about what you already know about doing your life's work (with PowerPoints!!!)?

(b) Call in sick to work in order to watch Susan Lucci on The View, followed by the final episode of the 41-year-run of All My Children?

The best use of my time and my intellect is clearly (b). If you didn't know that already, then you should not be reading this blog.

But the likely answer is (a). So you knew me well enough to figure in the guilt and responsibility angle into my decision-making process. Well played.

2 comments:

grumbles said...

Huh, who knew we were living parallel lives? Just substitute Bejeweled Bliz for the Sims and reruns of House for your soaps (yes, I have cried at House episodes, go fig) and it's pretty much the same B.S., different cities. It may make you feel better to know, however, that I have yet to meet a person who has purchased those thin Fig Newton cookies and NOT eaten the entire box in one or two sittings.

Montag said...

It makes me feel better. :-) All-around, actually. I'm going to try to write a post about why the end of TV show upset me so much (and it did and still does). Not sure I can put into words--at least just a *few* words. Hey, you know me . . .