Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lessons learned from the neighbors #2

After being awakened at 5:12 am by child #1 running repeatedly up down the upstairs apartment's hallway (happily, I should add, not crying for a change), I am now willing to speed-learn whatever language the parents are yelling at the child. My contribution to cross-cultural bonding and, it must be said, my slightly less altruistic effort to lend a helping hand to the parents to get both of their wayward offspring under control.

I am also willing to buy additional earplugs, buy a white noise machine, pray for additional train traffic and ambulance noises nearby, and sleep elsewhere on a rotation schedule to be determined by the happy couple upstairs, all as part of my effort to avoid having to hear the rhythmic, tell-tale (but a little too quick, if you ask me) squeaking of the couple's matrimonial bed as they frequently and eagerly drive home toward child number three.

I am also willing to open up a can of whup-ass on my landlord for failing to fix the sound-proofing/insulation problem between the upstairs and downstairs apartments and, instead, by way of "compromise," moving a family of four (and apparently soon to be more) into the unit above me.

Essentially, I'm a giving person.

No comments: