Saturday, December 15, 2012

Back in black to the cul-de-sac



The gods help me, but I have had the theme to '80s powerhouse soap Knots Landing stuck in my head for a couple of weeks now. California dreamin' or such a fugly winter's day? Mayhaps, y'all, mayhaps. The tune has been rather incessant, especially for a show that I haven't had a flashback to for a few years at least.

On Friday, oddly enough, the version featured in the opening credits above--the one with the punchy horns at the beginning--started to intermingle in my mind with "Ballroom Blitz," a power pop tune by '70s UK glam act, The Sweet.



I have no idea why, really. There's nothing about the holiday season that seems particularly sweet this year.

But come to think of it, there's plenty that seems particularly Sweet. The season does put me on edge enough that I could fantasize about colliding the two pop cultures together into one fireball of holiday doom. Imagine now: A ballroom blitz featuring the cast of Knots Landing, losing it feral-style in some sort of glamtastic, Clockwork Orange, Bob-Carol-Ted-and-Alice barbecue-cum-orgy-cum-meltdown. All in the blandly beautiful, '70s swingers cul-de-sac and split-level underworld of Caligula's (or Califigula?) worst erotic, tambourine-and-Hell's-Angels Orange County afternoon-cocktails-by-the-poolmare.

Wow. And sigh

Perchance I do need an escape. A rescue. A refuge. Or even just a vacation.

Exit stage West . . .

No comments: