Saturday, November 12, 2016

And then you woke up, Paul Krugman

Being cute and bearish is no longer enough!
Paul Krugman by Prolineserver - 
Own work, GFDL 1.2.
If nothing else, the election of Donald Trump as the Pussy-Grabber in Chief of the United States of America is greatly improving my writing skills. I can now scorch and scald in 1,500 words or fewer.

Unfortunately, not everything I write meets a welcome and willing audience, hungry for my snarkily cutting observations. For example, I had hoped that the New York Times would publish my recent response to this editorial by Paul Krugman, an author and scholar I normally appreciate. Although perhaps not anymore--or at least not for a very long time.

But almost a day latter, nothing, nada, rien, niks, or ничего ("neechevo") as our ascendant Russian overlords might utter.

So you decide--was it something I said?
No offense, Dr. Krugman, but why should I believe anything you or any other columnist or media personality ever predicts again? After numerous column inches and breaking news bulletins devoted to topics--such as the Republican Party is in its death throes, at near-civil war, that Donald Trump is going up in smoke or down in flames, and that the Democrats would win the presidency, the senate, possibly even the house of representatives, cure poverty, create cold fusion, and find every lonely person a partner--I hope that you and your fellow authors (especially Frank Bruni) will understand that I shall remain highly skeptical of any written opinion in your newspaper's pages starting from 9 November 2016 forward to perhaps infinity.
Trust me, I want to believe you--nothing would give me hope or make me happier than to see this vulgar, manipulative, rapacious president-elect fail before he starts and to see those who supported him flushed out in the trickle down shitstorm that may (or may not) come to pass, but which they so savagely deserve. Yes, this is the street where I now live, praying for the misery of people I barely know but probably say hello to in the office or flip off in traffic every day.
But there is absolutely no reason to believe you. Yes, you're an intelligent guy, you're all intelligent guys and gals. But apparently you didn't have any more a clue than I did about how this election might turn out. I might as well have saved my money and spent it on magic beans or regular visits to a tea-leaf reader.
 I haven't canceled my subscription to the Times and the Washington Post yet . . . but I'm strongly considering doing so. If I want this kind of Monday morning armchair political quarterbacking, I'll stick to non-Trump supporting friends on Facebook. They're a helluva lot smarter.

No comments: