Monday, March 25, 2019

Happy Monday, but no, not really



For reasons that may eventually become apparent in this public/private mental space, aka my blog, it's more than a little odd and highly ironic that I would post one of the most lush, romantic songs I've heard in the last couple of decades on today of all days. But here we are, listening to Keren Ann channel Bob Dylan in "Lay Your Head Down" from 2009 or so, one of the best damn songs I've heard in recent years, musically, lyrically, and vocally--the whole pop package.

I saw Keren Ann in an interview on France 24 last week, and this song came back to me--too late, I'm afraid, but just in time as well--along with the memory of a concert I attended at the Andy Warhol Museum with the Music Lover back in my Pittsburgh days. It was Keren Ann, her presence, her voice, and an electric guitar, and that was all that she needed to play and sing her wonderful songs, songs that make me feel warm, comforted, and loved.

This is all very ironic, of course, assuming that I know what irony is and assuming that anything is ironic anymore.

No comments: