Tuesday, December 20, 2011

I'd rather dance



My "latest" musical discovery was actually released in 2004--"I'd Rather Dance than Talk with You" by Kings of Convenience.

Such a lovely pop song and an especially charming video. How did I ever miss this? I heard this for the first time this morning on my way to work on WYEP, Pittsburgh's only alternative yadda yadda yadda. Actually, Pittsburgh has a couple of "only alternatives," including the college radio stations at the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University.

Anyway, I don't know much about the group or their other music, except that Kings of Convenience hale from Bergen, Norway, also home to Annie.



Both Annie and the Kings are further proof, in my opinion, that, at the moment, the best English-language pop music in the Western World continues to emanate from Scandinavia.

Care to challenge me over this point? A pox on your Swedish meatballs! May Santa leave nothing but lutefisk in your stocking this Christmas! I hope your Saab gets beaten by an old Volga and a Daewoo in the first NASCAR race in Finland! I hear Steven Spielberg's going to remake all of Ingmar Bergman's films--in 3-D!

And other assorted (and nonsensical) faux-Nordic insults.

No comments: