Sunday, December 04, 2011

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmix

'Tis the season for mixtapes. Thus, I'm getting my Christmas jollies by working on a new mix, something I haven't done in ages--and something I haven't found an easy way to share via Blogger quite yet. (But, oh, I'll keep trying.)

There's no particular criteria for this one, meaning that the songs do not need to be holiday-themed or some such. I can do those and have done so before and, when I get a spare mo', I'll post a playlist I did a year or so ago for my friend Expo.

This is more of a true mixtape, that is to say, the songs are linked together by beat, sound, or rhythm. So, I take it back, there is one criteria, and that is that the songs need to have a danceable BPM, which for this unnamed, unfinished mix is about 120 beats-per-minute. A good party groove, not too fast, not too slow.

I started off with Manu Dibango's "Soul Makossa" as the lead song, but so far it's not fitting into the mix so well. It may make a reappearance, but for now the mix in the works is definitely pop in orientation.

Here's the playlist so far--
  • Little Boots - "Stuck on Repeat"
  • Agnetha Fältskog - "One Way Love" (Razormaid remix)
  • Bobby Orlando - "I'm So Hot for You" (discussions of one's sexual fever--always appropriate for the holidays)
  • Sarah Love (aka Sara Lumholdt formerly of the A*Teens) featuring Milano - "Glamour Bitch" (again, so appropriate for the season; I know the term "glamour bitch" is what I think of whenever I see those commercials where 1% trash buy each other Lexuses for the holidays)
  • Annie - "Hey Annie"
  • The A*Teens - "Floorfiller"
  • Deborah Harry - "In Love with Love"
  • Cut Copy - "Need You Now"
OK, so there's music by a Brit, one Latino Americano, one New Jersey American, some Swedes, a Norwegian, and a couple of blokes from Oz. Maybe I should call this the "Hot & Cold Mix"? Then most definitely Mr. Dibango could make a reappearance, along with some other, more north and south of the Equator sounds.

* * *

To get you in the mood, here's Sarah Love and Milano performing "Glamour Bitch."



OK, so this is kinda paint-by-numbers hip-hop-pop (sexy female voice, suggestive lyrics, Brooklyn-accented rapper), but it is very catchy and clever, too, imho. It should give you a taste of what to look forward to or flee from, as you wish.

No comments: