Saturday, December 31, 2011

One more for the road

I couldn't let the year end without one final word--or note, as in musical note.

As you can no doubt tell from browsing earlier postings, I really like music. Of many shapes and varieties. Lost in the shuffle of postings and the fierce and forced scheduling of the season, I mentioned recently that I've been trying to work on some music projects this fall (and now winter).

I did finally finish my "hot and cold" mix, which I hope to post here shortly. Thank you to my two-week-plus winter crud for the inspiration.

Today, in lieu of writing and recording the intro to that podcast, I did manage instead to finish up another project, my "Smells Like Young Adult Spirit" mixtape, featuring multiple versions of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit." You can find that above. I hope you enjoy.

There's some narrative as well, about grunge, Nirvana, Kurt Cobain, and Dave Grohl, along with some conjecture about possible inspiration for that early Nirvana sound.

Here's a preview of what you'll hear, sort of.



Gang of Four, one of my favorite "post-punk" bands of the early '80s, performing "I Love a Man in a Uniform." I was post-punk when post-punk was cool but was simply filed under "new wave."

On the accompanying podcast, you'll hear Gang of Four's "Call Me Up," which really does remind me, musically, of early Nirvana. But I couldn't completely ignore "Man in a Uniform," one of my favorite songs from the era. Lyrically edgy and musically jagged. The perfect combination.

But, Holy Capezios, is that Deney Terrio from Dance Fever introducing the group?

I can't fathom the clueless booking agent that stuck the hyper-political Gang on something as see-through as Fever.

But I would marry him or her nonetheless.

No comments: