Monday, October 31, 2011

Montag had a little lamb

My really simple lamb chop recipe:
  • Try to find some lamb chops at the grocery store. I dare you! Sometimes they actually sell them in the U.S.!
  • Pick ones with some meat on the bone, not just bone.
  • Heat up a grill pan on the stove, giving the surface a light coating of olive oil PAM or another cooking spray.
  • Place the chops on a plate and sprinkle them with red wine vinegar, Montreal steak seasoning (or a lot of freshly ground pepper and a little salt), and (preferably fresh) rosemary leaves.
  • Plop 'em on the pan and grill to desired color on the inside. I like mine with a little pink. Hopefully, that's not a health code violation.
  • You may want to re-marinate the cooking chops every now and again with some red wine vinegar.
  • Add a salad, some green beans, some roasted Brussels sprouts, or whatever green vegetable that hasn't rotted in your refrigerator.
Et voilà, dinner for yourself, or maybe more, if you're feeling generous.

This is my version of a Rachel Ray recipe, so Snappy, et al., do forgive me. She approaches sirloins in this manner, substituting balsamic vinegar or Worcestershire sauce for the red wine vinegar.

I find that's too overwhelming of a flavor for lamb, which has its own unique and delicious taste. Red wine vinegar is a little milder and adds to the dish, instead of covering it up. Even the Montreal steak seasoning (which I adore and would marry if it were legal in this state) can come on strong for poor little lamb. So freshly ground pepper and rosemary work just fine. I even skip the salt--there's enough flavor going on already.

Now if I can figure out the Glass Artist's stuffed cubanelle peppers and sauce recipe, I should be good to go for the main courses for the opening night menu at Chez Montag.

Bon appétit--with reservations!

No comments: